Security on temporary construction sites is vital for a plethora of reasons. In most construction sites, the area remains open and the whole work and construction business depends on the resources that are used on such sites. A lot of money gets invested there. Unfortunately, integrity is not a common value in today’s world, and often, people see such places as a way of making easy money. So, it is important to first consider the building site security before the project starts.
Why is building site security necessary?
Most construction places are obligated to secure their boundaries and have some sort of protection for the area. Here are the reasons.
- Building sites are usually vulnerable and unprotected, which is why incidents such as theft and vandalism are not uncommon. To prevent incidents like theft and vandalism, ensuring proper building site security is extremely important.
- In case your site is vandalized, or a case of theft occurs, it could have some serious consequences. Not only will you have to incur way more costs than you originally planned for, but your project will also take longer than intended, and the whole process will be delayed.
- It is not just about protecting the resources, however, since safety is also a huge factor to weigh in. This is to prevent any unwanted injuries from occurring. Children are perhaps the most vulnerable of the ones that may trespass your site while playing around, and usually, it’s just out of plain curiosity rather than any malicious intent. Thus, it is vital to take all measures possible to prevent injuries.
How does one ensure security on a construction site?
Depending on the scale of your project, fencing can incur different expenses. You will also require different materials and the nature of fencing to ensure maximum safety. However, it is a reliable way to keep out intruders and trespassers. Fencing is the first step you should take when it comes to securing the area of your construction site. Despite reliable fencing, however, make sure to keep your tools hidden and well out of sight.
2. Install security camera and alarm system
You might even install security cameras to have evidence of the unfortunate scenario of an incident occurring. While we are on the topic of cameras, alarms that go off when somebody is trespassing or attempting theft can also be a great investment.
3. Ensure adequate lighting
This is true for all times of the day but especially at nighttime. Although cameras with night vision do exist, it is always better to be safe than sorry. If you have proper lighting at all places of your construction site, the levels of building site security will increase substantially. You can see properly the faces who come into the site and have a visual account of whatever happened. Make sure to have maximum lighting at all the entry and exit points, especially.
4. Employ a watchmen
We have been talking about security measures thus far, but the most important and perhaps, reliable way of ensuring building site security is to have watchmen on-site at all times. They can quickly alert the police or the rest of the team if something out of the ordinary happens.
5. Make safety gear compulsory
Security measures against theft and vandalism are well in good. However, ensuring personal safety and minimizing the risk of injuries is also a vital part of building site security. Put up posters and make announcements to let everyone know that safety boots, goggles, and helmets are mandatory to wear on-site. Moreover, make sure to mention that only the team working on the site is allowed on the premises. This serves as yet another warning to trespassers and intruders with malicious intents.
6. Acquaint yourself with the neighborhood
On the off chance that something does happen, it is always good to have witnesses to attest to what happened. When the neighbors who live in the area nearby to the construction site know you and trust you, there’s a better chance they will try to look out for you in your absence. Especially at night, with hardly anyone physically present at the site, it can be beneficial to have a pair of extra eyes watching out for you.
Building site security is something that is often overlooked. However, for the reasons discussed at the beginning of this article, that is a grave mistake that must be corrected. Make sure to deploy all the appropriate safety measures on a building site to not only nullify or minimize accidents but also to save yourself from the consequence to get into any crime and unauthenticated activity.